Last week, Sarah Chasing Life (go check out her blog!) sent me this great article from Runner’s World called ’10 Reasons the 5K is Freaking Awesome’ by Lauren Fleshman. It was a great article, and it provided many good points why 5Ks are just as fantastic as Half Marathons or Marathons. In lieu of this article, I wanted to list all the top 5 5K races around the United States I would love to run.
For beginners and seasoned runners alike, there is a 5K out there with your name on it! The 5K race is quickly becoming one of my favorite distances because I feel it’s an inclusive race that all your friends and family can join you with. Training for a 5K is an attainable goal for many folks, and it’s such a great accomplishment once you are done. Even if you have family members that are not runners, many people are interested in walking a 5K distance. That’s why I said the distance is very inclusive. So let’s get started listing some really cool 5ks out there! If you have any awesome 5ks I didn’t list, please comment below. I would love to hear about other amazing 5k races.
Top 5 5Ks I Want to Run
- Hot Chocolate 5K in Chicago, IL- First off the theme is dessert. That already has a lot of points with me. At the end of the race you get a finishers mug with all kinds of chocolate.
- Boston Athletic Association 5K in Boston, MA- I can honestly say, I do not think it’s in the cards for me to run the Boston Marathon. Or at least anytime soon. But this 5k allows you to feel part of the exciting runners weekend. The race runs through the famous Bolyston Street, and all the way to the Boston Marathon finish line.
- Mickey’s Holiday 5K in Orlando, FL- Sorry guys. I had to put a RunDisney event in there. I love all of their events! So this 5K is pretty special because it’s through the Animal Kingdom park, and the race is holiday themed! You will get to see all of the Christmas lights in the Animal Kimgdom…pretty cool!
- Hollywood 5K in Los Angeles, CA- They roll out the red carpet for you as you make your way through the heart of Hollywood. Run like the movie stars! Just seems like a fun race.
- First Flight 5K in the Outerbanks, NC- I want to run this because A) it’s located in the beautiful Outerbanks, B) it’s a pirate themed race, and C) there is a Costume Contest!